Having to follow a gluten free diet for medical reasons can be difficult over the holidays when there are a bunch of treats around, so a couple years ago I started making gluten free cookies to keep me happy during dessert time. The past three years I have made gluten free gingerbread cookies that are so good, most people cannot tell they’re gluten free! My favorite part about the recipe is that most of its flavor comes from baking spices so baking the cookies fills my kitchen with a wonderful aroma that can get me in the holiday spirit.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies (Adapted from King Arthur Flour):
– 2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
– 1 cup almond flour
– 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
– 1/4 tsp ground cloves
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 6 tbsp softened butter
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup molasses
– 1 tsp vanilla
– Optional: frosting
- Add flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves to a large bowl and stir until blended.
- Add brown sugar and butter to mixture and stir with an electric mixer until blended and texture is fluffy.
- Add egg, molasses, and vanilla and mix with electric mixer until well blended.
- Split dough into two flattened discs and refrigerate for at least one hour. I usually refrigerate the dough over night. This also allows me to do clean up in shifts.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350
- If desired, roll out dough onto parchment paper scattered with dough to prevent sticking, and stamp with holiday themed stampers. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets and cook for 8-12 minutes at 350.
- After cooking, let the cookies sit on a baking sheet for five minutes and then transfer to cooking rack.
- If decorating is desired, allow cookies to cool completely before frosting. I usually use a frosting with a tipped dispenser for better accuracy with designing. If you are planning to stack the cookies for storage or as a gift, learn from my tiny mistake this year and use a fast drying frosting!
These cookies are a great addition to a holiday meal and can even be a sweet gift for friends and family. Happy Holidays!