Since I am recent grad working more hours at my job in a seafood department, I have started trying out more recipes at home to give recommendations to customers and my future patients. A couple weeks ago, I decided to buy a frozen pack of cod portions and bring it home for my family to try.
A common piece of nutrition advice is to try to have two servings of seafood a week since most varieties are relatively lean proteins that are great sources of vitamins, minerals, and omega 3’s. For those you that are a little weary trying about seafood, cod is a great fish to start out with since it has a mild flavor with a light flaky texture. Cod is a great source of b-vitamins, protein, iodine, brain-boosting choline, and a moderate source of omega 3’s, so it is a great addition to the dinner table.
Cod is known for being fried as part of fish and chips, or on a fish fillet sandwich, so I decided to bake breaded cod by adapting a recipe from Whole Foods Market’s website (Baked Breaded Cod). Baking instead of frying helps to keep the recipe low in fats that may lead to heart disease, and allows the breadcrumbs on top of the cod to become crispy and combine well with the cod.
Lightly Breaded Lemon Cod
Ingredients (For 3-4 portions):
- Olive oil to coat baking dish
- 1-4 to 6 oz portion of cod for each person you are serving
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I used gluten free so I could eat it)
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp melted butter (optional)
- If using frozen cod, take out of freezer the day before and allow to thaw in the refrigerator.
- When ready to make, preheat over to 425 degrees. Spread olive oil in baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, grate one piece of bread until you have 1/4 cup’s worth. I suggest using the end piece of a bread loaf to get finer breadcrumbs.
- Evenly space cod portions in pan and season with salt and ground pepper. Add lemon juice by squeezing half a lemon over the cod portions.
- Sprinkle portions with breadcrumbs and optional melted butter.
- Bake cod until breadcrumbs are crispy and cod flakes or approximately 12-15 minutes. Use a food thermometer to ensure cod has reached an internal temperature greater than 145 degrees.
- Remove from oven and enjoy 🙂