It’s been a bit gloomy in the Chicago area lately, so today I decided to have a colorful smoothie to brighten up my day.
This is my favorite smoothie to make and I typically like to have it for breakfast or after I workout. It is a great source of protein and antioxidants (vitamins A and C) to help with starting the day out right and/or with recovery after a hard workout. Protein supplies the foundation for building muscles and to help keep you full throughout the day, while antioxidants help to ward off sickness and combat free radicals produced by exercise. Additional benefits of this smoothie are that it provides two servings of fruits to help with beginning to meet the “5 A Day” fruits and vegetable goal, and that the yogurt and milk in it provide calcium and vitamin D to help with building healthy bones.
Banana Berry Blast Smoothie
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries all work great together or alone in this smoothie)
- 5 oz or one small container of Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add fruit, yogurt, and milk to a blender
- Blend until all ingredients are well mixed. The smoothie will be pink in color.
- Pour into a new cup if needed and enjoy