A new family tradition my mom and I have during the holidays now is cooking together. On Easter, I tried a new recipe that was a hit among my family: roasted garlic brussel sprouts. My family and I liked how the brussel sprouts had a mix of sweet and savory flavors, and how since brussel sprouts are a healthy vegetable, we didn’t feel bad about having seconds!
Brussel sprouts are a member of the nutrient packed cruciferous vegetable family. They’re a great source of fiber, iron, vitamin c, folate, potassium, and phytochemicals that can reduce the risk of developing cancer. No wonder Moms everywhere are trying to get their kids to eat them!
Roasted Garlic Brussel Sprouts
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 2 lbs brussel sprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim stems off brussel sprouts and remove yellow leaves.
- Cut brussel sprouts in half and place in large plastic ziplock bag.
- Mince garlic cloves and add to plastic bag along with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Shake bag until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour brussel sprouts into pan and place in the oven. Cook for 30-45 minutes stirring brussel sprouts every 7-10 minutes to promote even cooking. Brussel sprouts will be darker brown and soft when they are finished cooking.
- Serve and enjoy!